This Sunday, 27 July, Roman Catholics and Episcopalians and others will essentially pray the same prayer. On Sunday and the week following Roman Catholics pray:
God our Father and protector,
without you nothing is holy,
nothing has value.
Guide us to everlasting life
by helping us to use wisely
the blessings you have given to the world.
Episcopalians (Anglicans) will pray:
O God, the protector of all who trust in you,
without whom nothing is strong, nothing is holy:
Increase and multiply upon us your mercy;
that, with you as our ruler and guide,
we may so pass through things temporal,
that we lose not the things eternal;
through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you
and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.
Essentially, these are two different translations of the same ancient prayer.
Read further reflection and history of this shared prayer.
- July 26 Catholics & Anglicans share prayer
- Anglicans and Catholics pray together again
- Resources 17th Ordinary – 26 July 2020
- October 11 Catholics & Anglicans share prayer
- Episcopalians (Anglicans) and Roman Catholics pray same prayer