Tomorrow, September 25, there is a special session of the United Nations to discuss the Millennium Development Goals. Many people of faith will spend tomorrow in prayer and fasting and witness (See, for example, Lambeth 2008 reflections document).
The Millennium Development Goals were agreed to by all member states of the United Nations in 2000. The Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) are to:
• Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
• Achieve universal primary education
• Promote gender equality and empower women
• Reduce child mortality
• Improve maternal health
• Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
• Ensure environmental sustainability
• Develop a global partnership for development
• pray with special intention for the extreme poor throughout the world.
• skip at least one meal in solidarity with the nearly 1 billion people who go to bed hungry each night. (As possible depending on health … consult your doctor if in doubt)
• participate in an (online) advocacy action promoting your government’s fulfilling its promises to achieve the Millennium Development Goals.
- International Golden Rule Day
- Live Below the Line
- God is not a product
- Give Us Today Our Daily Bread
- Encourage the Liturgy of the Hours