• collect/opening prayer reflection for September 4 and the week following (NZPB following suggestion in the Prayer Book)
• collect/opening prayer reflection for September 4 and the week following (NZPB following suggestion in the lectionary)
• collect/opening prayer reflection for September 4 and the week following (Common Worship CofE)
BCP (TEC USA):
Grant us, O Lord,
to trust in you with all our hearts;
for, as you always resist the proud who confide in their own strength,
so you never forsake those who make their boast of your mercy;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever.
Regulars will know that each week commentaries are provided on collects (as above). Recently maintaining the collect tradition has been significant here.
A creation reading of the lectionary
The Exodus reading sets an earthy tone of land, springtime, full moon, lamb, fire, bread, herbs, and blood – in which life was understood to be held. Evil has for too long been read dualistically separating “heaven” and “earth”, “flesh” and “spirit”. We may need to read our New Testament texts into a more holistic vision where heaven and earth are more closely bound (Matthew 18:18), and our neglect of creation and greedy carelessness is included in a contemporary reading of the sins understood in Paul’s letter.
Drawn from Creation Season where you will find further resources.
Commentary on the Sunday reading from Waiapu Academy
Anniversary of the Christchurch quake
September 4, 2010, was the first of the quakes that rocked Christchurch.
You can share any comments as well as any resources, ideas, sermon-starters, children’s activities, hymns, prayers, etc. in the comments section below.
- week starting September 11
- week starting September 25
- Week starting September 12
- week starting September 18
- week starting August 7